Saturday 13 October 2012

When life gets in the way...

This week I was reminded that determination and commitment are essential to survival.
My strengths are being put to the test right now, school is kicking me in the face. I have barely slept trying to keep up with homework and the closest I am getting to a social event is my group assignments at school. Group scheduling NIGHTMARES, mid terms around the corner and keeping up with my own work have really tested me this past week and the next couple weeks will continue to be challenging.
I had to take a moment to re-evalute.
I felt like quitting because I didn't think I could keep up.
But, I just had to prioritize and remember what my goals were.
"Why did I take this on?ALL of this....eek"
At the beginning of the semester I wrote down my goals and I was happy that I did,
so I could reflect on those intentions.
One of those goals was to get straight A's this term, another was to make time for my fitness to ensure that I kept a positive attitude by feeling strong and healthy.
So- when I felt like crying and lighting my accounting text book on fire this week... I took a breath and put down the matches. I went for a 20 minute met-con session at the gym. Doesn't sound like much, but it was all the time I needed to get my head back in the game.
( Maybe a combination of sweat and my Linkin Park/Prodigy playlist playing LOUD on my ipod)
While my sweat sessions were cut short due to lack of time, I still made healthy choices and thankfully had my meal prep done on Sunday. 
Today I took my Marketing text book to the gym I walked on the highest incline I could on the treadmill at 3.2 speed and crushed 2 chapters. Hey-it was something,and with my work load-it is all I could do.*Bonus*my glutes are on fire! Sometimes-we need to give ourselves a pat on the back for getting sh*t done in the most un-ideal circumstances. 
So, if you too are feeling like there are not enough hours in the day, take a deep breath and know you are not alone. Make a list of what is a MUST get done and what is just your type A personality WANTING to get done. Also, try and just take 20 minutes for yourself to do what it is that fuels you. These 20 minutes to myself, get me through the next 8 hours of doing stuff I hate.
 It keeps me saine, and so those around me should be thankful too!

 For me it's throwing weights around or doing burpies, but for you it might be meditating, whatever it is-Light yourself on fire when you have nothing left to burn!

No comments:

Post a Comment